Welcome to BIOMED SIMULATION Knowledge Base
- Either an external pressure meter or water column with calibrated water height reference in the arterial line is required. This document uses a calibrated water height reference (Fig 88).
Figure 88. Water pressure reference marks
- Flush any air bubbles in the arterial path, including the peristaltic pump path
- This is done by flowing at a high rate while keeping both the arterial valve and peristaltic pump open
- Stop arterial flow
- Close Arterial Valve by setting Arterial Cannula (%) slide to 0% (Fig 89).
- This step can damage the Califia system if the pump is suddenly turned on at a high rate
Figure 89. Arterial Valve fully shut
- Close Peristaltic Pump door (Fig 90).
Figure 90. Peristaltic Pump with lid closed
- Set pressure in the arterial line to 0 mmHg by manually rotating the pump in the direction away from the arterial input to Califia until the water height is about the same as that of the pressure sensor in Califia (Fig 91).
- The occlusion in the roller pump may need to be adjusted so there’s no pressure leakage
Figure 91. Water line for 0 mmHg of pressure
- In the Calibration section of the Instructors Panel set Calibrate slide to Pressure and press the checkmark box next to Low Reference of 0 (Fig 92).
Figure 92. Pressure Calibration at 0 mmHg
- Increase pressure to 74 mmHg (1000 mm H2O) by manually rotating the pump in the direction of the arterial input to Califia (Fig 93) until the watermark is at the 74 mmHg reference (Fig 94).
Figure 93. Manually rotate the pump to increase pressure to 74 mmHg
Figure 94. Water line for 74 mmHg of pressure
- Set the High Reference to 74 and place a checkmark next to it; then press the Apply button to complete the pressure calibration process (Fig 95).
Figure 95. Pressure Calibration at 74 mmHg
- Verify pressure by generating heart ejections and having the peristaltic pump (heart pump) follow the mean arterial pressure indicated in the OR Screen (Fig 96 & 97).
- Open Arterial Valve by setting Arterial Cannula (%) to 100%
- Ensure the Peristaltic Pump door is closed
- Place a clamp in the venous line and set Level Control ON
- Add water to the reservoir, as its level reaches past 2 Liters, the OR screen will register heart ejections and the Mean Arterial Pressure will increase
Figure 96. Heart ejections in OR Screen
Figure 97. A level higher than 1.3 Liters
- Turn ON Heart and Pressure Control in Califia Controls (Fig 98).
Figure 98. Heart and Pressure Control ON
- The Peristaltic pump will start pumping and the Pressure indicator in Califia Controls will increase to follow the mean arterial pressure reported in the OR Screen; this value should also be similar to the one reported by an external pressure meter or water line (Fig 99).
Figure 99. Actual pressure follows Mean Arterial Pressure (MAP) in OR Screen
- Once Pressure Control is exercised and verified, turn OFF Pressure Control and Heart